Skip Navigation

Forensic Science

Forensic Science

In some cases, DNA samples are found in crime scenes as physical evidence. Forensic science is the use of scientific methods and technology in the investigation of crimes. Forensic scientists can be found at the crime scene collecting evidence or in the laboratory processing and analyzing these samples. While 99.99% of all humans share the same DNA, we can use the other 0.01% to distinguish individuals. This means the DNA sequence found in a crime scene can be matched to a suspect’s DNA. When we hear in the news that DNA from a crime scene has been matched to a potential suspect, we are witnessing the hard work of a forensic scientist.

Occupation: Forensic Scientist
Entry-level education: Bachelor’s Degree

For more information:

American Academy of Forensic Sciences
https://www.aafs.org/

5