Through generous funding by a wealthy philanthropist Mrs. E. H. Harriman and the cereal magnate John Harvey Kellogg, Charles Davenport started the Eugenics Record Office (ERO) at Cold Spring Harbor. The ERO was an extension of an experimental station Davenport started at Cold Spring Harbor in 1904. Initially, the purpose of this station was to study Mendelian inheritance patterns and breeding in animals. The newly established ERO was focused specifically on humans and eugenics. The ERO compiled prejudicial and flawed data on subjective traits such as feeblemindedness and criminality. The ERO’s attempts at educating the public about the value of eugenics included a nationally distributed publication, Eugenical News.